The increase in the use of social media in the 21st century workplace presents new opportunities to both the employer, employee and the general public.
Employers use different types of social media applications for several reasons. Some include:
(1) Employee engagement and knowledge sharing. E.g. having a corporate LinkedIn page or Facebook page or Blog to keep employees in far flung branches of the same organization aware of different programs, events, new programs, policies and crisis management.
(2) Employers use social as a means of recruiting and hiring of new staffs the easy way.
(3) Sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook are known for the valuable information they give as a tool for identifying good and potential candidates. Plus it gives a wide number of candidates to choose from.
(4) It gives employers easy access to conduct background checks on their potential candidates.
(5) It enables employers conduct something close to or similar to an interview, giving employers the heads up on what to expect, the questions to ask about some not so specific answers, when they finally meet for a physical or one on one interview.
By next week, we will treat this topic from an employee or job seeker’s perspective. Watch this space!